> No tags on the shared nodes - just shared nodes.

What is IMHO a quite bad idea for two reasons:
– It’s unlikely that there will be software supporting features when there
is no tag.
– You would introduce a concurrent solution to a node
highway=traffic_signals. I do not think that it’s a good idea to have
various ways to tag the same thing.

> Made a test to show you what I was thinking.
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/36.32478/139.10396

And there, you see even more problems:

– At https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/36.32487/139.10370, you do not
have a shared node between the highway and the area. But this would be
necessary to have a reliably hint for routing/turn-to-turn navigation
software, otherwise it will be hard to know there the area ends. This would
make a working routing solution quite unlikely.

– At https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/36.32492/139.10357 you have the
area nearly in parallel to the footway. There will be other situations,
where it will be exactly parallel. This is not comfortable to edit.

– At https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/36.32492/139.10347 you do not
have a shared node between the footway and the area. But footways are not
oneway. So a routing engine does not know when you enter the area
respectively when you leave it.

– At https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/36.32440/139.10395 the footway
overlaps only slightly the area. There will be cases where it will not
overlap at all. How to decide reliably for software if this footway passes
through the junction or not?

– At https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/36.32440/139.10395 you have a
shared node. But probably, when you are passing through the footway and go
from south to est, you do not pass over the traffic signals. (You would to
so only when you go from south to northwest, and the traffic signal node
should be at the intersection between the footway and the highway:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/36.32445/139.10392 )

– The complicate roule when to share node and when not will in practice be
prone to errors. It’s to difficult.

– And: I still not see what you gain with this.

– And overall: It would mean that you may not add any of these areas to OSM
unless you know _exactly_ where the individual traffic signals are located.
So, in practice, either the tagging will hardly be used, or (what I think
is more likely) people will tag nevertheless the area, and just not comply
with the rule of the shared nodes.

– All in all, I do neither see this practicable nor do I see a gain.