No it not a language problem  or a dictionary issue. It's about an OSM data
consumer (openfietmap)  that thinks it is important to for cyclist to know
what type of paving can be expected.  Paved, unpaved and semi-paved to keep
it simple. I think this is OK and it works for me.

Cheers
Peewee32

>> I would not call sand "paved" but when we look at e.g.gravel /
>> fine_gravel the opinions will vary. The OSM based Openfietsmap
>> <http://www.openfietsmap.nl/home/legenda>(cycling map for Garmin
>> devices) has yet another value called "semi-paved".  All based on current
>> OSM tags. (surface, tracktype, smoothness etc. ) In my experience this
>> works pretty well.
>>

> "semi-paved" does not make any sense to me (besides maybe something
> divided in two along its direction, (that would probably be half-paved)) .
> I've looked the word "paved" up in an online dictionary and it seems to
> confirm what I thought it would mean.
> http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pave
>
> 1
> *:*  to lay or cover with material (as asphalt or concrete) that forms a
> firm level surface for travel
> 2
> *:*  to cover firmly and solidly as if with paving material
> 3
> *:*  to serve as a covering or pavement
> <http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pavement> of
>

> 1 is dealing with asphalt or concrete (firm level surface)
> 2 is dealing with different stuff (as if it was paved), i.e. comparing to
> 3 is not useful for us here
>

> gravel does not seem to fit into any of these categories. Maybe this is a
> language problem? E.g. in German you could translate "paved" as either
> "gepflastert"/"asphaltiert"/"betoniert" or as "befestigt", where the latter
> would indeed include gravel, fine gravel etc. (but in these cases "paved"
> would not be a suitable translation of "befestigt").
>
> cheers,
> Martin

Verbeter de wereld. Word mapper voor Openstreetmap
<http://www.openstreetmap.org>.