On 29.10.2014 13:08, Pieren wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 8:21 PM, Friedrich Volkmann <b...@volki.at> wrote:
>
>> (...) But when we see nothing, it's plain wrong to add something to the
>> database.
>
> But it's a common practice today in OSM. It seems you missed the long
> discussions about "noname=yes" or "oneway=no". Such tags don't say
> "here is nothing". It says that someone went on place and checked that
> the restriction does not apply. Otherwise, we cannot differenciate
> surveyed locations and missing information in OSM.

Experience tells that such tags are often set by mistake, or just to shut up
a validator.

Many mappers aim to map some place on earth completely, and then mark it
done, and it be never ever touched again. That's naive. Data in a real world
with real mappers requires continuous verification and actualization. Of
course, YOU may be sure that YOU made no mistakes. But the only way for
OTHERS to verify that is by revisiting the place and looking all over again.
It does not matter if the name is just unset or if noname=yes is set, as
either of these tags deserve verification.