On Wed, Nov 05, 2014 at 10:01:47AM +0100, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> > This discussion comes late. Both natural=ridge and natural=arete have been
> > approved by voting just 2 years ago.
> >

> arguably it is not too late, there are only 450 uses of arete by now (and
> 17K+ ridges). Please also note that the tag "natural=arete" was formally
> rejected (not enough votes: http://wiki.osm.org/wiki/Proposed_features/arete
> )

after two years in the wiki where it was marked as approved and active it
would not appear as a great idea to declare the vote for invalid based on
nitpicking formalities, how many votes were missing for approval?

Would be better to make a new proposal including details of a transition path.

Another reason I don't like current arete/ridge state is that some ridges are
very long - and they may be partially arete and ridge in different segments.
Having a way that is tagged partially as natural=ridge and partially as
natural=arete seems like a bad idea.

Richard