> What about introducing a name space:
> water_source:potable=designated | mineral | heilwasser (I failed to find a
> good English-language analogue, could someone help please?)

I'd make this "water:quality" and values potable | mineral | de:heilwasser
(or an English correspondent if available, or DE:heilwasser because it
refers to German legislation)
maybe also add "toxic" / "contaminated"(?), "non-potable"
not sure about "radioactive"?

> water_source:sparkling=yes | no | unknown

in analogy: "water:effervescent" (or ~:sparkling)

> water_source:nonpotable=compromised | designated

could maybe be integrated in the quality-tag?

> In principle, details regarding the kind of water source could be provided
> here as well, to free up the top level a bit and help data users:
>
> water_source:type = tap | fountain | well | spring

or have this inherited from the main tag (e.g. amenity=fountain,
man_made=water_tap, natural=spring, man_made=water_well

cheers,
Martin