Hi Martin and all,

It seems to me we can discuss it in great detail and agree on something,
but the users will understand—and use—the proposed (or even non-existing)
tags it in their own way. They will not have followed this discussion and
many will not even read the corresponding wiki-page. Therefore I would try
to assume as little information as possible and still introduce some
improvement. Specifically:

> what exactly is a "water_tap"? Does it require that you can shut it down
or open it (i.e. are "always on taps" also taps?)? Are particular
"interface" specifications possible/required (e.g. standard plug to attach
a tube, diameter for the tube). Around here the typical settings for water
flow are: always on or 3 types of devices to turn it on: a push button (you
have to hold to get water flow), another kind of push button (you press
once and get flow for some time without having you to continue to push) or
a turning handle to open/close the valve.

- Button, pedal, valve, IR-sensor are all possible, as is an internal (not
easily accessible or requiring a special key) valve
- Permanently running water tap is also OK. As long as a common person
would describe the water source as a water tap, this tag will be fine.
- A connection interface is possible (just like in home water taps) but is
not assumed and is not specified in the current proposal.

> I find this sentence strange in the definition: "Unlike a water well,
water tap usually connects to water pipes rather than to a natural source
of water." Isn't a tap the "final interface to who needs water", usually
with a valve to open and close flow? How would that relate to a water well
(a device to pump water from the ground)? I thought a water well could have
just as well a water tap at the end of its pipes to control the flow.

- I agree, it's not very well phrased and will be improved. A water well
gives access to groundwater, while a water tap is a technical device. So
you're right, they don't really compete. *A water tap however is a good tag
for a POI when the source of water is unknown.*
- Some confusion between a water tap and a water well is definitely
possible in real life. What is this for example:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tap_(valve)#mediaviewer/File:Basic,_Surmi,_Tulgit_(13369732263).jpg
?

We can introduce yet another more generic "water source", as discussed
before. However it goes more in the direction of changing the whole tagging
system. Though I would definitely be in, let's address the specific problem
first and discuss more general options later. *I just want people to stop
inventing the ways to tag a water tap, independent from in-depth discussion
whether the thing actually is a water tap. *

So the present proposal's goal is to merely close the gap with some water
sources having no reasonable tag at all, as well as to
introduce potentially some uniformity in tagging water sources and prevent
unfortunate situations like amenity=drinking_water +
drinking_water=now/unknown or using name=water_tap.

> Also I wonder if we should have tags for hot/cold water and those taps
that mix hot and cold in the same tap?

I haven't seen many hot water taps in the streets, but it definitely
welcomes another discussion. What shall we call "hot" and "cold"? Shall it
be rather "heated" and "cooled"? I would leave it to sub-tagging, and
again, let the people bring it in. I think the majority of use cases will
be addressed with a single simple tag.

*The main use case is when the water source is not clearly a water well
(thus not man_made=water_well) and, at the same time, when potability
cannot be assumed (thus not amenity=drinking_water).*

> I would also change "public" to "publicly usable" (or publicly
accessible), because this is what does matter (and we don't want to exclude
"privately owned, but publicly usable taps" in this generic proposal, do
we?).

Agree.

I hope I've addressed your concerns and you can vote now :)

Cheers,
Kotya

On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 11:31 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com