Hi,

On 01/08/15 02:21, Dave F. wrote:
> To me, subarea appears to be used in a similar way to the superseded
> 'is_in' tag, For the same reasons that tag was deprecated, mathematics &
> the admin_level tag can be used to determine if one polygon is inside
> another. They seem to be purely extra baggage

I agree with that and in Germany there's a consensus to not use them
(and remove them when one encounters them) but I think that there are
some countries where mappers have taken great care to keep their subarea
links complete and correct, and of course we don't want to ruin it for them.

So yes, remove them if you are familiar with the mapping style in the
area you're editing and they are indeed unusual there, but leave them in
place if it looks like the standard operating procedure in the area.

Bye
Frederik