Yes. As much as all this "you can use any tags you want" creates an
environment open for innovation, it creates a horrible mess when you
use it without coordination and on existing features.
Also, no-one seems to ask a question "How it that problem solved in
other maps?" when proposing tags or other solutions.
No need to re-invent the wheel. Look how others do it and you may find
an elegant or just practical solution.

Some people in Poland (the ones who never browse community forums)
maniacally tag every dirt road as highway=track, even if it should be
residential+unpaved (Like short named streets at suburbs) Another
prevalent  thing is tagging every place such as out-patient clinic as
amenity=hospital.
Lack of discipline is very annoying because correcting these is a
Sisyphean task.

Also, I think that editor presets makers should really implement *all*
approved tags (barring some specialized stuff like OSM-3D, indoor
mapping etc) because not featuring a tag makes some people tag things
not exactly correctly, just to map it.

Michał