I am very cautious about any of this kind of measurement for the following
reasons:
1) the results will be very difficult to standardise
2) the effort is far beyond that what a mapper can reasonably do.

If you wanted to do it properly you needed to mount a measuring device in
such a way that it looks downwards to measure the reflected light, may be
on some kind of arm protruding from your vehicle (bicycle in my case) and
then record continuously the measurement. Now you have to consider the
parameters:
measurement device characteristics
distance from the ground
weather conditions (we would need to define "standard dry weather", because
with rain you will have the problem of direct reflectosn of light sources)
signal integration parameters (do you average over 10m for example?)
and most likely others.

Then you still have the problem of how to define the illumination quality
of a stretch of cycle path. Assume you have a 100m stretch with nice
illumination but there is a tiny S-bend exactly overshadowed by an
evergreen tree, which produces a pitch dark spot of 10m at a dangerous
point. What do you do? Put an illumination value every 5 meters or, and
that's what I would do, mark the entire 100m stretch as lit=very_poor (or
something similar).

Constructive and realistic suggestions are welcome.

Volker