My main suggestion would be to re-use the same scheme as
Key:opening_hours to define the time when the waterway is likely to
flow.
I would also discard rare/frequent as too subjective. Instead:
approximate duration are not perfect but should improve mutual
understanding.

For instance as in:
waterway = *
+ intermittent = yes | no | periodical | random (default:no)
++ intermittent:periodical = [opening_hours scheme]
(likely to flow at this date) eg. Mar-Jun | OR | Nov 20-Feb 20 | OR | ...
++ intermittent:random:interval = [approximate duration]
(typical/assumed duration between two flowing events) eg. 2 weeks | OR
| 3 years | OR | ...
++ intermittent:random:duration = [approximate duration]
(typical/assumed duration of one flowing event) eg. 12 hours | OR | 3
days | OR | ...

I am sure some people would like to go in more details, so why not:

+ intermittent:origin = rain | snowmelt | geothermal | ...
+ intermittent:effect = stream | torrential | flood | ...

Mateusz Konieczny <matkoni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please, no "intermittent=ephemeral". Key intermittent was defined to have
> only a single valid value, turning it into free-form tag is a bad idea.
>
> Maybe intermittent=yes, intermittent:type=ephemeral?

Maybe other tags began with a key and a single valid value.
Afterwards they evolved to multiple valid values for added details and nuances.
Multiple valid values [option1|option2|...|optionN] is not the same as
free-form [name/note/source/description=*], is it?