From: SomeoneElse [mailto:li...@atownsend.org.uk]
Sent: Dienstag, 20. Januar 2015 00:56
To: tagging@openstreetmap.org
Subject: Re: [Tagging] sidewalk=* or footway=* (Hubert)

On 19/01/2015 23:19, Warin wrote:

To me, sidewalk is American English.
British English is more footway?
" footpath" is common Australian English.

In English English* "footpath" means either that thing at the side of the road
that Americans call a "sidewalk" or a path not at the side of the road
primarily intended for pedestrians (but less wide than a pedestrianised
street).  "Footway" means the same as "footpath" essentially, but less in
common usage and more usually used in legal contexts.

The use of "sidewalk" to describe the thing at the side of the road was
discussed on talk-gb and was generally accepted there even by those (like me)
who tend not to like Americanisms because it's not ambiguous, whereas the
alternatives ("footpath" and "pavement") both are.

Cheers,
Andy

* I can't speak for the Scots or the Welsh or any others.