On Sat, 24 Jan 2015, Никита wrote:

> > You know that it's always a trade-off, right?
> Exactly. Regex advocates are ponies in DB design.
>
> > disk usage/IO
> Index lookup for "color:green:lightgreen"=yes is fast.

So is the index lookup for color=...;lightgreen;... !

> > network traffic could increase.
> 1-2 more tags per object? So? Yes, it will increase traffic load.
>
> There no option to choose between if somebody choose to use ";" in value.
> You have to use regexes. FYI, this is not sane thing to do with relational
> databases.

This is a false statement. Nobody (except you) is forcing anyone to store
semicolon values as literals rather than e.g. into a postgresql array.
Your argument entirely *depends* on that stupid way of loading multivalue
into the DB. I wish you'd really drop the discussion about DBs and using
regexp there as it's not the strongpoint of your argument really.

There are good points in your dislike of semicolons but they are certainly
not on the DB side.

--
 i.