> > The way in OSM is only a (sometimes not precise) drawing of an existing
> feature and can be different from the reality.
>
> How precise is the value of the "length" tag? From what is the value
> derived?

to make sense on ways, I'd expect it to represent either a measurement in
the real world (e.g. with tape) or the indication you can get from a sign
(e.g. length of a bridge). Measuring e.g. in JOSM or GIS from the
cartography or from imagery or calculating it from the coords does not make
sense (but I doubt people do it like this).

cheers,
Martin