I didn’t know that courtyards have their own name ;-)

In general, it seems a good idea to have a tag (apart from name=*) on
the inner line of the multipolygon. But I would avoid the key place=*
because this key is rather used for bigger features and seems to not
fit well. Maybe there is another key *=courtyard that fits better?

> Courtyards use to be mapped as "inner" members of building multipolygons. We
> can also use the multipolygon relation to assign a name to the bullding. If
> we want to assign a name to the courtyard, we must assign it to the way. But
> then we need some kind of physical tag in addition. Applications won't know
> what do do with the name when there aren't any other tags.
>
> Some courtyards are tagged place=locality or highway=pedestrian or
> leisure=park, but they all seem wrong. A place=locality wouldn't be that
> strictly delimited, and a park or pedestrian area need not occupy the entire
> courtyard.
>
> A courtyard really has nothing to do with leisure=*, and it is not a highway
> either. It's just a hole in a building. What key can we use for this?
>
> What about place=courtyard (an area spared by a buildng), analogous to
> place=island (an area spared by the ocean)?
>
> --
> Friedrich K. Volkmann       http://www.volki.at/
> Adr.: Davidgasse 76-80/14/10, 1100 Wien, Austria

Lukas Sommer