> As you can see, each block is subdivided into land plots - each with a
> courtyard and several buildings that usually all belong to an extended
> family. Those land plots have a strong significance and the frequent
> sighting of spontaneous attempts by to map them in various ways is
> testimony to that.
>
> I do not yet have an answer to this requirement - it should obviously be
> mapped as an area but I have so far failed to select satisfactory
> attributes to model it. I believe that landuse=* is not suitable - in
> Senegal, as http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/FR:WikiProject_Senegal
> recommends, the whole urban area is landuse=residential, so it is not
> available to map smaller subdivisions.

maybe a new place value? Of the existing ones, maybe place=neighbourhood?
Although this is a really small nieghbourhood compared to other areas with
this tag.

I don't see a problem in the whole area being landuse=residential, still
you could split these into several smaller landuse=residential, but I agree
that there will be no inherent semantics about the special situation there
with just the landuse tag.

Cheers,
Martin