I don't agree that we don't make progress, but we have different agendas. I
put a proposal how to solve this in the original mailing list.

If I am in a country with abundant campsite (France) I start looking for a
campsite one hour before I want to stop and I base my choice on location
and facilities. I'have a hardcopy book with all 10,000 campsites in France
to choose from. If it is in OSM OsmAnd helps me to navigate to it easily.

If I am in a country with few campsites  (Oman, Tanzania) I plan in the
morning where I want to be in the evening with fallback options if
something goes wrong on the way. Questions I'll ask: (1) any "normal"
campsites available, (2) if no, any "opportunistic campsites" (hotels
offering camping) available, (3) if no, any non-designates sites (police
station, public park) available. Depending on the location I may skip all
of this and go for wild camping at a quiet, beautiful place instead.

I have no internet, so my information sources are: (1) previously
downloaded OSM data (OsmAnd, Overpass), (2) extracts of blogs and camping
listings from other overlanders (partly in text summarized per country,
partly lists converted to gpx that I can show on the map), (3) travel
guides (Lonely Planet etc.)