> Associating one feature (a 'parent') with another feature (a 'child')?
>
> More of a guide as to how OSM 'does' it?
>
> Or may be it needs to be added to some already existing guide...

there is no clear standard method to do this. There are at least 3 concepts
in use:
1. spatially: something is inside or on the border of something else
2. by tagging: e.g. operator tag, brand tag, the "bicycle=use_sidepath"
tag, etc. This method is not explicit but typically should work.
3. with relations (and roles within relations)

For this case we could either use the site relation, e.g. a reception-role
with which the reception_desk gets put into relation with a site (not yet
documented), or we'd use the type=provides_feature relation.

For the site relation there is a proposal here (but the examples somehow
contradict the idea of point 1, that a spatial relation is sufficient in
cases where one object contains another)
http://wiki.osm.org/wiki/Relations/Proposed/Site

For the second I couldn't find any mention in the wiki, but it is used 411
times:
http://taginfo.osm.org/tags/type=provides_feature#overview

Cheers,
Martin