In line with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperature#Temperature_scales I
would strongly suggest the defaulti unit to be degrees Celsius. There is a
technical problem with the units: Celsius "°C" and "°F" have the degree
symbol "°", whereas the SI unit Kelvin "K" does not.
Given the difficulty of finding the degree symbol on a normal keyboard, it
may be wise do use "C", "F", and "K" when writing explicit temperatures in
OSM.
As far as the usefulness of the temperature key itself, i would say that
only in few cases precise temperatures can be given, therefore any
definition of the key should include the possibility to state  approximate
temperatures and approximate temperature ranges, even verbal and not only
numerical, like "boiling", for example.