shop=supermarket and membership=yes is more accurate than shop=wholesale
for a business like Costco and Sams. Only true wholesalers should be tagged
as such.

+1  Agree. Costco is not a wholesale shop because they sell to any consumer
who is willing to buy a membership. And they sell many items in quantities
of one.

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 2:40 AM, johnw <jo...@mac.com> wrote:

> > A lot of Costco's customers are small businesses who buy wholesale
>

> 25 years ago this was their business model. (Price club).
>
> 15 years ago this was still true.
>
> This is not true any more.
>
> They still have business accounts (my friend has one), but I’ll bet you %
> of customers and % items bought and % of money spent at costco goes *at
> least* 80-20  end-consumers vs resellers. My guess is it is probably closer
> to 90-10.
>
> This seems to be true in the US and Japan. the amount of moms with kids
> and elderly people wandering around shopping for ice cream and batteries
> are not resellers. Anyone buying tires, glasses, clothes, books, movies,
> computer electronics, toothbrushes, or frozen food is also not a reseller
> (no reseller selling TVs is buying a single TV every few months). The
> parking lot is completely full of families. Besides certain bulk food
> supply aimed at restaurants (60 eggs) or is easily resellable in small
> amounts (canned drinks), all the stocked items are now completely targeted
> at consumers. Anything with a Kirkland logo is meant for end-consumers,
> otherwise there was no reason to create the KS line of products.
>
> All of their secondary services - glasses, food court, pharmacy, tire
> center, photo Prints, and other stuff through third parties (garage doors,
> cars, tax prep, etc) is all for consumers as well - so that should *really*
> tell you who is walking through costco’s doors.
>

> Javbw

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand