Am 10.05.2015 um 15:29 schrieb Lists <li...@gimnechiske.org>:

>> +1 for pebbles.
>
> Don’t create a ridiculous amount of surface values, for roads there are
> mainly 3 interesting values (paved/unpaved/setting stones), and for non-road
> usage it should be free to cover about any exposed surfaces, i.e. beaches can
> be sand/pebbles/rock, tennis courts can be clay/synthetic/asphalt (and other
> values?), a soccer field can be grass/synthetic/asphalt?

glad you mention pebbles: I always wondered what were the right values for
crushed rock (angular rock) in the size classes 5mm to 32mm/64mm, as both,
gravel and pebbles seem to refer to naturally created, smooth, small pieces of
stone (eg from rivers), while most streets I am aware of are made from crushed
rock (at least around here).

For reference, in German the terms are Bruchsand (<5mm), Splitt (2-32mm) and
Schotter (32-64mm) as opposed to pieces of natural provenience (German: Kies).
I'm particularly interested in the term(s) for Splitt.
(I guess it is chippings, but this is not a common value for surfaces in Osm
(strangely just 5 occurrences)).

cheers
Martin