> Hi everybody,
>
> I was mapping cemeteries recently, and I stumbled over a couple of
> confusing points. I would like to know your opinion.
>
> 1) There is landuse=cemetery and amenity-grave_yard. Could someone explain
> the difference please? Is it that graveyard is always at a place of worship
> territory? I find it quite confusing: most big cemeteries in Moscow have
> started as such graveyards, but are now much more known than those old
> churches or monasteries (which may even be non-functional by now). Also, at
> every cemetery, there is a place of worship. But its only purpose is often
> to hold a burial service at that cemetery.
>
> 2) For large cemeteries, mapping of sections/sectors is essential for the
> map to be of any use. There is a proposal for this
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Cemetery_sector,
> but it seems to be abandoned. I would restart it, but I have a doubt: do we
> want a specific cemetery-related tag only? I would rather introduce
> something like a "section" that could be used elsewhere too (e.g. for a
> large parking, beach, etc.) The fact that it's a cemetery section can be
> derived from geometry.

The person who proposed it did also a mass retagging where sector were
already defined

> 3) A good alternative could be a subtag:
> cemetery:section=xxx,
> where I would make xxx the name of the section (aka ref and name).
>
> 4) Ref seems to be a good tagging for the cemetery section number, but it
> doesn't show up on the map, unlike the "name" (e.g.
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/345082198). Is ref still a preferred
> tag?
>
> 5) Is it more correct to use "section" or "sector" for cemeteries? The
> proposal is for "sector" but I think it should actually be "section".

You could evaluate the tagging already in use in different cemeteries
around the world and see which tags are used for similar objects, then
proposing some system to unify the situation.
Well mapped cemeteries you can find in Poland, Pere Lachaise in Paris,
Staglieno in Genoa, and so on.

> Cheers,
> Kotya

Regards.