On 23 May 2015 at 17:47, Dave Swarthout <daveswarth...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The Wiki article clearly teaches that the amenity=charging_station tag was
> designed with vehicles in mind.

Well if it's a VEHICLE charging station, it should have said that. They
didn't specify what changing it was in the name - so it's surely open for
all charging stations.

> And I reckon for those of you who expressed concern about rendering, that
> part of it isn't up to me, or us, and will be resolved later.
>
> The big question is whether to expand the use of the tag so it includes
> devices other than vehicles. The article mentions bicycles but doesn't go
> into detail about bicycle charging_stations except to say "There are some
> different types of charging stations. E-Bikes e.g. can be charged at an
> domestic wall socket." To my mind, that opens the door to expanding the use
> of the tag.

Asbolutely !

> Also the notion of socket:type=USB or socket:USB=* (a number of sockets or
> "yes") seems fine. The other keys mentioned in the Wiki entry can be used
> just as they are in many other similar situations:
> fee=*
> operator=*
> access=*
> voltage=*
> opening_hours=*
>
> These stations, or in the case of the Seattle airport, entire sections of
> seats, have "domestic wall sockets" offering a way to charge laptops as
> well as the USB output. The tag socket:nema_5_15=* denoting is bulky to say
> the least but if that's the established tag for the receptacles found in
> American homes, then it might work here too.

What do 'standard Americans' call their sockets ? We shouldn't be using
technical names on OSM unless that's the common name for them. Voltage is a
useful bit of data.

--
Mike.
@millomweb <https://sites.google.com/site/millomweb/index/introduction> -

*currently unavailable due to ongoing harassment of me, my family, property
& pets*

T&Cs <https://sites.google.com/site/pmailkeey/e-mail>