On 25/05/2015, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Also, a lot of wikipedia articles do not (yet) have a wikidata
>> counterpart.
>
> I thought all wikipedia articles had been transformed into wikidata
> entities (that's what I was told from a guy from wikimedia).
> The big difference that I see that could be there (in theory, the current
> situation wasn't like that when I had looked at it some months ago):
> wikidata is about entities. wikipedia articles are that: articles, they
> could deal with different (wikidata) entities in the same article. Actually
> they do, if you look at what in osm is place and admin, the articles often
> (but not always) refer to both of them, while for wikidata it does always
> make a difference (IIRR).

I admit not knowing wikidata that well, so the following might be misinformed :

There can't be  a mapping from every wikipedia article to a
corresponding wikidata id. Where in wikidata would you link all the
wikipedia "List of Foo" articles for example ? And if I'm creating a
new article for that restaurant I like, how does the corresponding
wikidata object get created and linked ?

Automatically creating wikipedia articles out of wikidata objects
shouldn't be too hard. The reverse seems unlikely. As far as I
understand, wikidata will always be playing catch-up to wikipedia, to
some extent.