On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 4:30 PM, John Eldredge <j...@jfeldredge.com> wrote:
> OSM needs to provide for objects that fall under more than one category,
> whether it is done by allowing multiple tags with the same key, using
> semicolon-delimited values, or some other means. One often-quoted expression
> is that "OSM needs to show the ground truth", and it is frequently the
> ground truth that objects fit into more than one category.

Yeah. It's ridiculous. I was surveying a week ago and there was a shop
that sells coffee AND tea. So what then? There's shop=coffee, and
shop=tea. Whoever invented these tags wasn't a far-sighted person. Or
a shop that sells both doors and windows (maybe even floors - there
were a few of them). The problem with current tagging system lies in
its **unsustainability**. It relies on people inventing new tags
ad-hoc if a POI doesn't fit. And then? Most likely it won't be
recognized by software in foreseeable future ie. unlike it gains
traction. Do you see the nonsense of this?

Michał