On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 10:32 AM, Ruben Maes <ruben.mae...@gmail.com> wrote:

> He proposes to use a semicolon-separated list, e.g.
> donation:compensation=payment;vouchers.
> We both know this is controversial, but why in fact?[1] It is supposed
> to be hard to interpret for data consumers, but can't they just as
> easily make a list with booleans of all the values that are present in
> the tag?

My take on this one

1) For me the major problem is when you try to further specify the
semi-colon separated values.
E.g amenity=pub;hotel, how do you specify different opening hours for the
two ?

You might use it for values that do not have to be specified further, e.g.
cuisine or your compensation tag, but
1) it's easier to do a search for all places that accept vouchers when you
have a dedicated key. With semi colon approach you need to be able to
handle "voucher", "xx;voucher", "voucher;xx", "xx;voucher;yy"
You might need to use regular expressions when you need to query for places
that give vouchers but do not do payments.
2) in some cases the semi-colon might be part of the value

You might want to search the archives of the tagging mailing list for all
kinds of arguments. I think this was discussed earlier this year as well.
O, yes, I remember  a very long discussion with Xxxmzz (or so) on pro- and
cons for regular expressions.

regards