Richard Z. wrote
> I would leave it alone and introduce highway=footpath which would be a
> variant
> of path for pedestrians, not suited or permitted for horses and vehicles
> unless
> otherwise tagged and expected to be more demanding than footways.

@Richard - I wouldn't even dream of that ;-) Actually - do we really need 5
or even 6 highway types for non motorized traffic?

Wouldn't it be better to use the universal and compatible "highway=path"
along with specific and unmistakable attributes for physical and access
properties. That way we could replace all highway=footway/cycleway/bridleway
keys.

The mess as you described it, was partly caused by mixing physical tags and
assumed access-restrictions in these traditional keys.

geow