On Fri, 28 Aug 2015 16:07:54 +0100
Andy Townsend <ajt1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 28/08/2015 15:18, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> > horse=designated
>
> That's an access tag.  Are you saying that access tags convey
> physical characteristics somehow?
>
> In the absence of any other evidence you might assume that "because I
> can legally ride my horse / bicycle / drive my car down there I will
> physically be able to do so" but as was pointed out just this morning
> in
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2015-August/026194.html ,
> that isn't always the case.

Cases where route is designated for given transport type (*=designated)
and is not usable for that transport type are really rare. And I am not
aware about any popular tagging able to handle problematic cases like
that (except cases where there is a barrier at certain point of route).

More problematic is *=yes where it is more popular.