There is a different approach that some have taken to use the sport as the
key and indicate it is a practice area via the value, for example:

golf=driving_range (sometimes on its own, sometimes with sport=golf,
leisure=golf_course and/or leisure=pitch) [0] [1]
baseball=batting_cage (usually with leisure=pitch, sport=baseball) [2]

[0]
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:leisure%3Dgolf_course#Details_within_a_golf_course
[1] http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/golf=driving_range
[2] http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/baseball=batting_cage