On 10/11/2015, Andrew Guertin <andrew.guer...@uvm.edu> wrote:
> On 11/09/2015 09:41 PM, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
>> amenity=bicycle_repair_station has a problem: it's attracting lots of
>> active tagging
>> of shops offering bicycle repair.  For example:
>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/3772809894
>> and http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/337421757
>>
>> That was not the intent.  amenity=bicycle_repair_station was meant for
>> unattended
>> tool stands, often outdoors, often 24/7, generally public.
>>
>> I'm seeking support for a mechanical edit to a new tag name.
>> There are known automated clients of this tag, and I am in contact with
>> both.
>
> I'd support a name change.

I don't see how a name change will help.
amenity=bicycle_repair_station and service:bycicle:repair=yes are
rather self-explanatory and well defined as far as I can tell.
Abandoning a tag because some large contributor misuses it isn't going
to improve the state of the database. Contact the ill-advised
contributors to make them understand the issue and fix objects which
got the wrong tag, but don't move a well-established tag to a new name
just to make cleaning up easyer.