Hi,

the wiki page describes that "PH off" is required in case something is closed on a public holiday.

This page confirms it:
http://openingh.openstreetmap.de/evaluation_tool/?setLng=de
a facility tagged with "Mo-Fr 10:00-18:00" would be open on Christmas Friday.

Wouldn't it be much more meaningful to assume a default of "PH off" and just specify situations in which this is not the default? Likely the majority of amenities with tagged opening hours are closed on public holidays.

Check of OSM data:
Out of 445 banks in Bavaria with opening hours 417 would be open on a public holiday (which is certainly always wrong).

Having the need to add PH off to every single entry would make it explicit, but is contrary to the typical common understanding of opening hours. And we also don't add oneway=no to the highways to make it explicit.

So I suggest to adopt a default understanding of "PH off" unless tagged otherwise.

Would it be worth opening a ticket here?
https://github.com/ypid/opening_hours.js

Stephan