> On Dec 18, 2015, at 5:39 AM, Matthijs Melissen <i...@matthijsmelissen.nl>
> wrote:
>
> And for the native English speakers: it's still not clear to me
> whether this use would be very contradictory to the regular use of
> 'water park' in English, what do you think?

Water park- for frolicking - shallow pools with slides, rubber amusements to
slide down.

Swimming pool - usually square multi-sport pools for swimming, lap swimming,
and water polo.

Bath. - a place designated for the enjoyment of the water on your body - a  hot
pool to soak in, a mineral or other ingredient to add some "health benefit" -
or a place to go soak a freshly scrubbed body (Japanese style Onsen).

This separation can easily be seen in many cultures.

San Diego is covered with private and public swimming pools, and the easily
mappable public pools are all *designed and primarily used* for lap swimming
and swimming lessons. Small bean shaped private pools are mixed use, but
usually big city owned pools are fairly single purpose. Even the summer "free
swim" time for kids is to let them learn to swim in a fun place.

Hot (and cold) places have water parks - Japan has outdoor shallow pools with
rubber hippos and slides, sprayers and places to splash in the summer, and an
indoor heated beach with water slides in the winter.

A bath is designed around bathing or relaxing and enjoying the temperature or
other property of the bath - a sauna, a mud spring, or possibly a jacuzzi.

Japan has a huge bathing culture that is totally separate from swimming or
play. If you go skiing, hiking, on a vacation, or just want to relax on a
weekend, hundreds of thousands of people go to an onsen every day. An Onsen
(subset of bath)  is like a health spa atmosphere - go in, clean yourself at a
sit-down shower, then go into the main bath (which is naturally hot water) to
relax. Go into the outdoor bath to relax and enjoy some scenery at a beautiful
spot (if present).  Although many resorts have onsens, they are usually
stand-alone facilities. There are no water slides or lap pools. No sports
games. It is for the enjoyment of bathing and water. There are other facilities
(sento) which is a bathing house with plain boiled water. I know in Scandinavia
they have saunas and other similar natural and man-created bathing (or
enjoyment of the water or its properties) too.

These 3 things are very separate. They just happen to involve water - but the
purpose and activity (and people's expectations) are vastly different.

It would be like showing up at a water treatment plant with a surfboard.
Totally unrelated.

Perhaps in some places there is a little blue between them - but in my
experience, they are very easily separated.  An indoor beach is a water park
and an indoor 50m lap pool with lane markers is a swimming pool and an onsen's
main bath (much smaller than the others) is a public bath.

- former swim team /water polo player
- current Japanese resident who goes to "public baths" - onsens throughout
Japan.
- rare visitor of water parks

Javbw.