Florian Lohoff <f...@zz.de> writes:

> public property - residential buildings
>       highway=residential
>       surface=gravel
>
> private property - residential buildings
>       highway=service
>       surface=gravel
>       service=driveway

I more or less agree, from the US point of view, except that
highway=residential has a meaning of something that is legally a road.
Here, that can be government-owned (typical) or a "private way".  But a
private way still has a name, house numbers, distinct property
boundaries of the way vs the adjoining lots, and other people may drive
on it.  You can get a speeding ticket on it from the police, which you
cannot get on a track on your own property.

So to me highway=track means "this is not legally a road" whereas
"highway=residential" means it is.

> IMHO it cant be a track as long as there are residential
> buildings.

If the road is nearly impassable, I might still call it track, as long
as it is not legally a road (driveways are not roads).  But I 98% agree
with you, and would tend to call it driveway.

The real bug here is that we need to fix the tagging system to make
clear legal status and type vs. physical condition.