W dniu 10.01.2016 0:20, Tom Pfeifer napisał(a):

Both 'amenity=public_building' and 'building=public' are problematic,

Sure.

but for different reasons. Merging their wiki representations mixes the
arguments against both, and makes improvements even more difficult.

'amenity=public_building' is an unspecific use of the amenity key, and
should be replaced with a more specific value.

'building=public' describes some form of accessibility using a key
that should describe the architectural type of a building.

Just for the record: "accessibility" brings some unwanted connection with "access" key, which we're not discussing now, as far as I understand.

You could be right, but IIRC when discussing church example I was once told that it's not that building=church+amenity=museum is about describing form (building) and function (amenity), as I thought. And indeed, we have some pretty popular tags like building=retail (~200k uses), which is mixing these two factors.

But if we really want to separate form and function, it would be better to not have something "amenity=public_building" (rather "amenity=yes" in general, when in doubt), while "building=public" sounds more reasonable for me (general category for building types other than for private people to live in).

--
"Завтра, завтра всё кончится!" [Ф. Достоевский]