Warin wrote on 2016/03/27 12:09:
Correct. But the wiki page for Athletics has no way of noting/adding/separating
the various sports.  And I think it too will fail due to anyway a mapper can
see to map the individual sports.  In fact the wiki page on athletics in sparse
on information as
to what it applies to, I assume it excludes running? The past sport=football
failed for much the same reason I would think.... and now each type of football
has its own entry.

Yes and for good reason. Soccer and American Football are comnpletly different
sports,
and have completely different pitches.

But in this area you find a good example: Gaelic football (in which you can use
hands)
used to be tagged as sport=gaelic_football, but that was deprecated and
replaced by
sport=gaelic_games, since half a dozen other gaelic games are played on the
same pitch.

Now you can easily sub-tag the specific games played on a particular pitch,
while
a passer-by mapper can initially apply the major catagory (recognisable by the
high goal posts)
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:sport%3Dgaelic_games

Athletics is another case where multiple disciplines are performed on the same
pitch/track.
So my recommendation is to tag all athletics facilities with sport=athletics,
and sub-tag

athletics:long_jump = yes
athletics:shot_put = yes
etc.

If athletics is to be used it should be properly documented ..
> shall I put the tagging of running under the key athletics to a vote?
> Only 5,400 instances in the data base against it ?

Providing a plausible alternative tagging scheme would work best here,
see the success of the structured amenity=social_facility.
I see no need to deprecate sport=running at this stage.

tom