This is a continuation of a discussion started in the devel list. The issue is the definitions of "tower" and "mast".

The two terms are used interchangeably in both UK & US english, resulting in a lack of consensus for tagging.

Perhaps we should define a "for use in OSM tagging" definitions of these terms, simply to fix a convention. I will try a proposal:

Tower: Any free-standing structure of high vertical aspect ratio that has some kind of accommodation within it (observation decks, restaurants, offices, apartments, etc)

Mast: Any structure of high vertical aspect ratio that has no accommodation (apart from service access), commonly used for communications purposes & may or may not be free-standing.