On 17/04/16 16:33, ael wrote:
In en_US, alley is generally a road where you can drive, but which is so
Here British usage is different. You can seldom drive on a alley.  It
may be the historical root is the same: in the days of narrow
horse-drawn vehicles, maybe an alley would allow passage and that was
the historical meaning. Most alleys in the UK will have bollards or such
to prevent anything beyond bicycles. However they are typically wider
than normal paths.  You see why we need a clear definition? From your
description, I can't see why highway=service with a width tag would not
cover a US alley.

I don't entirely agree with your idea about alleys in the UK. We often have a roadway behind terraced houses which offer a way to access the rear of the houses, and often this is with a car, sometimes to private garages. The surface of these varies from tarmac or concrete to gravel. I tag these as highway:service, service:alley. In the Hull area these are known as tenfoots (they are typically ten feet wide). A walkway between housing that a car wouldn't fit down has many local names such as ginnle or snicket, but that is not the same as a tenfoot. I think people would agree that alleys (in the UK) are sometimes not wide enough to drive down, but far from always. I feel drivable alleys are only for access, nearly always for the house owners, but they are not regarded (IMHO) as a driveway. More and more of them are getting gates to restrict access in the belief that this deters crime. I add the gate and access:private to these.

--
Cheers, Chris (chillly)