On 6/10/2016 12:56 AM, Amacri wrote:

Hi,

Tag place=isolated_dwelling, which should be used to name an almost unpopulated place (often in the mountains), can be currently defined as node (point) or polygon (area), but not as a way (line). Same consideration for place=hamlet or place=locality: using way is not allowed for them.

It often happens that, when a place cannot be clearly delimited in the mountains, traditional maps typically draw its text, where the text itself outlines and shapes the covered region.

If these are 'places' then they should be tagged as 'places'.

If the 'place' can be verified as a line then tag it as a line.

BUT the old map may simply be using the text placement as an indication of an area rather than a line.

I would not rely on the map/s alone .. needs a bit more investigation?

place=locality has some 7,800 uses as a line presently.

So I would use it as a line until more information is available. Add a note to that effect?