Why not try taking a more objective approach with the tagging? I mean
less emphasis on what it is called (which clearly varies widely and is
subject to discussion) and more emphasis on what it is, which should be
less controversial and give a quicker convergence.

One might consider characteristics like:

        * Do residents have their own door onto a public area, or onto a
private communal area?
        * Is there 24 hour medical care available?
        * Is there other 24 hour support?
        * Is there a communal dining facility?
        * What is the target group? Old and infirm? Mentally ill?
Rehabilitation following serious trauma?

These are only a selection of what came to mind.

So if you think both a retirement home and assisted living accommodation
are the same thing, it doesn't matter much which of these is used in OSM
(we usually follow British English if possible). If you think there is
some subtle difference, what is the essential difference in terms of the
characteristics mentioned above? Maybe it is sufficient to distinguish
them by using (for example) communal_dining=no.

//colin