That looks like a good direction. From the wiki [1] amenity=shelter (>139,000
uses[2]) seems correct. No entry for shelter_type for palapa, but
shelter_type=sun_shelter[3] (even with only 152 total uses[4]) is probably
close enough.

Thanks!

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dshelter
[2] http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/amenity=shelter