I think you can put the information if you know it. The only developed
country with no limits in some pieces of their ways is Germany, and the
other pieces have the traffic signs (remember now you can put it also in
OSM with ISO two-letter country).
In England in some pieces of road there's no speedlimit signs. Why? Because
in their laws they put:" Hey! if road is LIGHTED in that way = limit of
30mph". You will not see the sign but you can put this limit maxspeed to
assure GPS will get this important information for foreigners.
No limit sign will not mean you can do whatever you want, so you can
specifiy the information.
If you think there's no speed limit really I bet you to drive up to this
speedlimit with a police car behind yours.

yopaseopor