sent from a phone

> Il giorno 18 set 2016, alle ore 12:00, Malcolm Herring
> <malcolm.herr...@btinternet.com> ha scritto:
>
> Values such as "yes", "forward", "reverse", "-1", etc are all meaningless to
> those who actually navigate the waterways. As Aun said, the commonly
> understood terms are "upstream" & "downstream".

I don't question this, but as a matter of fact, there is a total of 8 instances
with  key variations of upstream and downstream that I could find in taginfo
globally, so this is something that your software could present to users, but
it's not something people are actually using as tags.
http://taginfo.osm.org/search?q=upstream

there's also a slightly bigger number of these words in values, but much fewer
than oneway on waterways: http://taginfo.osm.org/search?q=downstream#values

cheers
Martin