On 2016-09-24 16:34, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> sent from a phone
>
> Il giorno 24 set 2016, alle ore 14:39, Andy Townsend <ajt1...@gmail.com> ha
> scritto:
>
> 'tartan' seems the most used, 'artificial_turf' is also used quite a lot
> "Tartan" is also a trade name as I understand it.

seems so, yes, that's why artificial_turf was introduced AFAIR, but
still tartan is currently used more often

They are different things - artificial turf is a direct grass
replacement (for soccer, hockey etc), tartan is specifically for
athletics tracks

I suppose in the old days there were grass athletics tracks (like when I
was at school) but I don't think many competitions are held on grass
now.

Short discussion here:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/89533-running-track-surfaces/