‎> I think we should come up with a common sense rule what name should usually
contain‎

I suspect that it might take some time before consensus is reached on that one
:)

There have been a number of discussions about "what should be in a name"
worldwide, and getting people within one country to agree is hard enough,
especially in countries without official languages and within countries where
"official" isn't the same as "most used". There's an ongoing discussion on
talk-it about Sardinia, and the Algerian forum discussion from some time ago
highlights a number of the problems with "combined names" (especially
containing multiple character sets and both rtl and ltr script).

(re the proposed rendering) I  had thought of doing something ‎similar myself,
but via lua at database load/update time - find the first name:xy that matches
a substring of "name" and use that as "a local name in a local language". Never
got around to actually doing it for real though.

As has already been said this _ought_ to be a job for wikidata. Normally
scalability of wikidata queries would be an issue (if any can think of a
workaround to that it'd be great to share) but the number of countries is
limited enough to make that approach workable here perhaps?

Cheers,
Andy