Hi Bill,

Am 23.11.2016 um 05:12 schrieb Bill Ricker:
> On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 10:08 PM, Michael Tsang <mikl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Oh really. Boston MBTA green line is a subway line that extends onto
>>> surface streets. Not full rail gauge iirc (though other lines are) and
>>> neither surface or tunnel curves could handle freight cars. The surface
>>> trolley portions that run down boulevard median are direct line
>> extensions
>>> of the tunnel line but do have grade crossings at boulevard stoplights.
>> Then I think it should be railway=light_rail
>

> ​and the way magically transforms to railway=subway at the tunnel porta​l

In that case, there are overground sections because of a lack of money
or because it was just not necessary (no busy city centre, no narrow
streets, …).

A subway system is *usually* encapsulated. But you should never say no
when you talk about railway infrastructure and public transport.

This looks much like a tram:
https://youtu.be/Fb3thVfqRS8?t=9m44s

This is the same line, just about 2 km away. It looks more like
railway=subway.
https://youtu.be/Fb3thVfqRS8?t=14m24s

The Hong Kong case is an execption to the "subways are totally
separated" rule because it is a metro using railway=rail tracks.

Best regards

Michael