Hey all,

Myself and a few other folks in the US have been looking into a way to tag
private or membership clubs -- things like the Elks Club, Fraternal Order
of Eagles, Veterans of Foreign Wars club (which are sometimes open to the
public) and the fancier private clubs (called gentlemen's clubs in the UK)
ones that are members-only, or members and their guests -- like the Yale
Club, Cosmos Club, and so on in the US, for example. It seems like the wiki
is not very clear.

club=* doesn't have anything specific about this:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:club and it seems to be more of the
place where a meeting of a club happens, rather than a specific type of
facility.

Taginfo says amenity=social_club only has two uses, but I don't think
that's accurate, I've found about 10 uses myself just searching around for
the American Legion, another type of these clubs
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/social_club#overview

American Legion, a widespread one in the US, is tagged variously as social
facility, social centre, bar, social club and others just in a quick
search. Social facility is common but seems wrong, as it's more for social
services, while these places are more like a bar/restaurant where meetings
and events are sometimes held -- but usually not open to the public, unless
there's a concert or something. The club members often do charity work as
well.

To me social_club seems like the best option but there's not agreement on
the wiki. What do others think?

Andrew