It's true, but OSM wiki, the tool people like me who tries to learn how to
do something uses says that:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Semi-colon_value_separator#When_NOT_to_use
.
Change the wiki please if it is not.

Wiki explains

"In general *avoid ';' separated values whenever possible*. Don't use them
in your mapping, and don't propose them on the wiki if there are better
ways of representing things. This is because use of semi-colons as value
separators is contrary to the aim of *keeping it simple* both for data
*contributors* (mappers) and data *users*. For the sake of new contributors
and anyone trying to *use* the data (people building software for
rendering, searching, "find my nearest cafe" mobile apps, etc) we should
minimise use of values with special characters.

It is particularly important to (wherever reasonably possible) avoid ';'
separated values in more important "top-level" tags. That is, tags which
define what an element is." Is not Destination value also so important?

Also there's some software who...does not support semicolon:

"Mapbox Streets
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Mapbox_Streets&action=edit&redlink=1>
 replaces ; with a spaced em dash ( — ) in any name
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:name>=* or name:*
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:name>=* tag. For primary keys such
as amenity <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:amenity>=* or shop
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:shop>=*, it considers only the
portion up to the first semicolon and drops the rest."

 I think dropping data is not a good way of working with OSM :(

Taginfo says also there's some destination:x in Germany. For example
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/destination%3A1

http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/destination%3A2

http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/destination%3A3

and so on...

Also if you see the list in taginfo about destination values you will see
only two in top20 list (well ,one is with comma so also there's some
problems of standarization)  from the most tagged values:
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/destination#values

And if you search top100 list there are only 12 values with semicolon , 2
with comma . All these values together are only 1792 tagged values...from
71665 total values.

I think one tag one value it is the best standard for traffic signs also to
make it easier for the begginners and newbies.

Cheers (Salut i senyals)

yopaseopor