On 25-Feb-17 06:10 PM, Stephan Knauss wrote:
On 25.02.2017 04:28, Dave Swarthout wrote:
I'm wondering if it's possible to tag in some meaningful way, the place,
usually a node, where a river begins. It seems this would be of interest
to people besides myself but I don't think there is currently a way to
tag such a place.

This mentions to optionally add a role "spring" for the "spring" node.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:waterway

Is this usable?

Not when the 'source' is another river/stream/creek.
An example is the Styx River, NSW, Australia that starts out from the Chandler River (two arms that both drain into the Styx).
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/388952003#map=16/-30.7048/152.0522

Where the waterway starts out from a spring .. then yes, it is appropriate to tag that node as a spring.

If you are a data consumer you could simply find the node at the beginning ... as the flow direction is taken by the direction of the way. You would have to check that it is not connected to a waterway of the same name.