> On 3/6/17 11:21 AM, Paul Johnson wrote:
>> On Mar 5, 2017 18:30, "Frederik Ramm" <frede...@remote.org
>> <mailto:frede...@remote.org>> wrote:
>>
>>    Hi,
>>
>>       I would like to start a discussion about the mapping of time zones.
>>

>>    What do you think?
>>

>> I'm generally opposed to mapping timezones in OpenStreetMap unless the
>> tzdata maintainers are 100% on board.  Since timezones are a royal
>> pain to keep track of, often changing 100+ times a year, on as little
>> as a few hours notice in some cases.
>>
> i agree. this a perfect example of something that belongs in its own
> database or
> shape file, available to be overlaid on the map when it's wanted.
>
> richard
>
> --
> rwe...@averillpark.net
> Averill Park Networking - GIS & IT Consulting
> OpenStreetMap - PostgreSQL - Linux
> Java - Web Applications - Search
Actually, timezones are to great extent already mapped, you only have to find a
better way to extract the data, instead of creating new relations. There might
still be administrative relations that doesn’t have timezone tag set making the
timezone data incomplete, but this is not a reason to create new relations, but
rather add the missing data in existing relations.

Aun Johnsen