Volker Schmidt wrote:
As EV routes are not managed as single entities, every route is split in
pieces managed on a country basis. I know the situation in Italy, as I am
involved in regional and national cycle routes here. EV routes are handled
by BicItalia which is part of FIAB, the "Italian Federation of Friends of
the Bicycle". All EV routes all have also BicItalia numbering (BicItalia
routes are ncn), but it is not necessarily the case that the Italian part
of a given EV corresponds one-to-one to a BicItalia route. So it makes
sense to tag the individual EV routes in one country as one icn and to tie
these icn routes in the different countries together by a super relation.
This means that any BI route that is also part of an EV is part of at least
to bicycle route relations (it typically is also part of lower level routes.

and Warin wrote:
My thoughts on the EV ... following my thinking on the above are;

Have 2 relations ... on on the EV, the other on the other entity (e.g.
BicItalia).

Agreed - I think this is the most sensible approach and it accords with most current practice. I'll add some text to the EuroVelo wiki page accordingly.

Jo wrote:
It ought to be possible to use hierarchy in those relations. That way you
would map them at the national level and group them for the international
level.

It's a seductive idea, but the problem with this is that the routes aren't always strictly hierarchical. For example, EuroVelo 1 in Britain uses parts of NCN 7 and NCN 73, but not all of them. So to do a hierarchical approach you would need "NCN 7 part one" in "EV 1 super-relation" and "NCN 7 super-relation", "NCN 7 part two" in "NCN 7 super-relation" only, and so on. This could get very complex very quickly - some parts of NCN 27 are in EV 1, some are in the Tour de Manche Anglo-French route, some are in the Dartmoor Way: the 90-mile route would need to be split at least four ways. I suspect it'd become exceptionally fragile and liable to be broken, and my main concern with getting the EuroVelo tagging confirmed is to make sure that there's an unambiguous reference so well-meaning newbies are less likely to break it.

cheers
Richard

(apologies for broken threading, tagging@ has disappeared from Nabble)