Am 16.03.2017 05:13, schrieb Tod Fitch:
It seems to me that the first and the third definitions should be split into separate tags with the second definition deprecated.
I agree that this situation is suboptimal. The second meaning has nothing to do with a direction but with a sense of rotation. So, I agree it should be dropped first, if any.

Since the “forward” and “backward” values are most used, it may be reasonable to keep the third definition of that tag even though it is inconsistent with “traffic_signals:direction”.
I don't agree. The uses of direction for forward/backward are in the same magnitude of order as for compass directions. A factor of 2 is not relevant. Both uses have their tradition and they are not likely to be mixed. The compass thing has more of an absolute direction than the forward/backward one, as it only specifies a binary feature relative to another oriented feature.

Best regards,
Carsten